Prize: $1,000 and publication with Elephant Rock Books YA.
Judges: Jennie Kendrick, Forever Young Adult; Suzy Takac, Bookceller Bookstore; TBA.
Elephant Rock’s Helen Sheehan YA Book Prize is awarded to the strongest full-length YA novel. We’ve had great success with the prize. The Carnival at Bray
, our 2014 winner by Jessie Ann Foley, went on to become a Printz Honor Book; The Art of Holding On and Letting Go
, our 2016 winner by Kristin Bartley Lenz, was a Junior Library Guild selection and has since been nominated for the Michigan Great Lakes Great Books Award. We're looking for solid prose, a voice that hops, and plot with moxie. Our judges are eager to discover the next great voice in YA fiction.
Thank you for your submission. More information about the press
can be found on our website. We partner with our authors to edit and promote their work.
Electronic Submissions Only.
- Eligibility: Novelists writing in English and with completed YA manuscripts. (50K to 90K words).
- Submit the first fifty pages. Full manuscripts submitted during round two of evaluation, upon request. A manuscript may be submitted that is being considered elsewhere, but Elephant Rock should be notified upon the manuscript’s acceptance elsewhere. Standard formatting: double-space, 1 inch margins, 12 pt. Times Roman, page number.
- Cover letter: include a brief bio, relevant publication information, address, phone number, and title of the manuscript.
- Submission fee: $20 via Submittable.
- Timeline: The winning manuscript will be announced in late fall of 2017 and published in 2018.